a Yogi in the making...

Yes, lovelies, you heard right. I'm embarking upon a journey. A journey of Yoga and meditation and hopefully a combination of the two. This is week 1, so my journey involves a lot of falling, twisting, dosing off and saying 'Namaste' awkwardly to myself in my living room. Also, I think I dislocated my baby toe. No pain, no gain.

I have attempted this feat once before, but quit. Immediately. I had been looking for something to bring a little serenity at the end of a stressful day, and what I discovered was this: Yoga is HARD. And it requires coordination and balance. I have neither of those things in large quantities and it seems that I use most of my reserves during the day when I try really hard to not fall down in public. You can imagine what it's like for me to try downward facing dog. There is a LOT of face-planting going on at this point.

Downward Dog. Photo from here.
If you've ever tried Yoga, you know that some of the "poses" go against what a body would EVER want to do if given a choice. I'm hoping that will change though, and that my body will soon crave those bends and twists. But I'm no Yogi. Not yet.

Ultimately, and beyond the physical benefits, I'm hoping that this will help in my prayer life. I have the attention span of that lovable dog in 'UP' and I have a maddeningly hard time shutting my brain off. So my times of meditation (while they are few and far between as it is) tend to sound more like a diary entry than a dialog with God:

Well, God, another day has passed. I can't believe it's October already! I LOVE what you've done with the trees. They look really great in that orangey tint you seem to lean toward this time of year. But anyway, work was hard today. Nothing bad. Just busy, I guess. Don't get me wrong - I'm thankful for my job. Especially in this economy. And, by the way, when do you think You'll be able to get that all sorted out again?


Well, that's all that's going on with me today. I'd love to hear from You if You're not too busy. 


... No? M'kay. Talk soon!

I crave a prayer life with depth. Desperately. I would like to develop the ability to sit silently and quiet my mind long enough to give God a chance to get a word in edgewise. I know I can use the discipline (and flexibility) that this practice will develop in me, and I'm pretty pumped to give it another try. I have a few goals that I would like to meet by December 1.

1. Practice at least once a day, every day
2. Improve flexibility
3. Improve balance
4. Learn how to breathe deeply without getting lightheaded
5. Get some respite from my mind's incessant chatter
6. Learn how to pray deeply and meditate on who God is
7. Learn how to LISTEN to God

Think I can do it? Although, the real question is do you think I can do THIS:

photo by milopeng on flickr

Comments

  1. You go girl! You are hilarious. Which makes me laugh. Which is so good for my soul, that it refreshes me. Which eliminates the need for me to do Yoga. Which I thank God for, because I can't afford the hospital stay that it would result in. mamacita ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can do that! Seriously, good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts